Saturday, March 31, 2012

Why I won't register with NPR

I asked a few people "Why should I register with NPR?". The responses are mostly along these lines.

"It is the law. So you must!"
Nope. That argument is for sheep and mindless drones. It is pretty much the same as:
  • "Everyone has to, at some point or other"
  • "Everyone else is doing it. So you should too"
  • "What do you lose? Why not just go with the flow? Why do you want to stand out?"

"It is against the law. If you don't, the government can jail you!"
Yea, well. I am thrilled. My government says I must come and "register" (for what?). If not, they will jail me! Can't get any more tyrannical that, can it?

Here is something getting close to real logic.
"Someone thought this is going to help identify all illegal immigrants. So they said let us register all our citizens; anyone who isn't, is an immigrant! To make sure they can force you to, they wrote this down in the Citizenship Act."

Sounds okay. Even if you overlook the assumption that "all illegal immigrants are terrorists". Until you think about it. 

They don't have a clue of how to determine citizenship, do they? Their processes are dependent on someone local not "objecting" (which one overrules?) to your being included. So some whacko decides he will "object" to people either out of vendetta or simple thrill of being able to - and off goes your citizenship. They have a "process" for grievance redressal, I am sure. I will have to run around government offices proving that I am a bonafide citizen. But hey, why put my citizenship in question in the first place? 

Here is what it all comes to - a classic case of a process design gone wrong. To catch the small set of exceptions, we treat everybody like they are criminals.

I say NO. Those of you who agree, please join me in saying NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment