Thursday, July 7, 2011

The emperor's new clothes

We all know the story. We all admire the innocence and courage of the little boy. However, in his defense, I submit that the poor emperor was only partly responsible for what happened.

Here is how I faithfully traveled the emperor's path - with equally spectacular results. I write this in the hope that other emperors wake up before little boys speak up. To save your time, I'll begin the story half-way and embellish it only ever so slightly to make it a tad less boring.

Year 2006. I had just started my second company. As a startup company, I worked closely with everyone of my employees. They addressed me as "Sir". I found it awkward. I asked them to call me by name. When they didn't, I began calling each of them "Sir" (including the female employees), just to rub my message in.

The company grew. New employees came in. I was deeply engrossed in my product development and customer expectation management issues. I was only acquainted in passing, with my new receptionist and accounts manager. I was now getting used to being called "Sir" or "MD-Sir".

Apparently by this time, my driver had started asserting his "superior status" over other drivers in the parking lot. He would expect other cars and drivers to give way to him and "his" car - even when I wasn't around. On the positive side, he would dress himself in a manner "befitting his status", so he was always very well groomed.

By now, I have begun to be completely preoccupied with my "important" work, worthy of the attention of an MD. I no longer had the "luxury" of more than a quick nod when people greet me on my way to my sanctuary and hallowed-work-place-of-the-MD. I am still nice to the people around me, but start building layers around me so that my important work is not interrupted "needlessly".

People stand up when I enter a meeting room. Without conscious thought I always make way to the head of the table in a meeting. I feel compelled to take control of every meeting and discussion I am in. I think nothing of interrupting anyone mid-sentence and hand out impromptu solutions - clearly conveying my no-nonsense go-getter attitude. I smile smugly at the astonished expressions on their faces and know that I've impressed the heck out of them with my incisive analysis and deep insights.

I often admire the intelligent nay - brilliant and successful, "MD Sir" who smiles back at me from the mirror. On my birthday, though I am touched by my employees' gesture with a bouquet and an obligatory speech - in a small corner of my mind, I congratulate myself for having done an exemplary job. No doubt I am a great guy and deserve every bit of admiration I am getting.

I now feel a tinge of irritation when a person waiting in the reception doesn't stand up when I enter the office. I consciously tell myself that I am beyond such petty things and I don't have a bloated ego (so why was I irritated?) - and in my generosity, I forgive the person.

I feel restless when I have to listen to most people in any meeting. Why don't they understand that I am intelligent? I already know most of this (whatever that subject was); and what I don't know, I don't need to know!


Note to self: I need to review the hiring process and performance appraisals esp., for this Project Manager who thinks she has a better solution than what I gave - and almost argued(!!) with me in the meeting.

Let me not bore you with more. I most definitely was wearing my own "emperor's new clothes". 


So I end this with just one thought: 


Why didn't someone slap me in the face and bring me to my senses earlier? Why didn't someone stand up and tell me what a damn fool I was, to not even consider others' suggestions? What gave me the exclusive right to the correct opinion? How did it happen that I am the best and the rest of the world is ... erm... next-best?


I submit that though the first mistake was mine, the people around me are equally guilty of letting me get away with it for so long - just to humor me, or in their own self-interest (to get their job done somehow and move on).


Finally... who is that kid who spoke out of turn? Let us get him an ice cream, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment